Historical Society, Inc., and Genealogical society Unionville, Missouri
Putnam County Museum
201 South 16th Street
Unionville, MO† 63565
History of the Putnam County, Missouri
Historical Society and Museum
The Putnam County Historical Society was organized November 17, 1967, by July 1, 1968 there was 232 charter members.† Mrs. Jessie Snyder was the first president and Mrs. Freda Hurliman was elected Secretary-Treasurer.† The first 3 regular meetings were held in the Community Room of the Court House.†
In 1968 the Putnam County Library purchased the Jones Drug Store building on the north side of the square and after extensive remodeling moved there.† Mrs. Snyder as librarian as well as president of the Society offered the Library as a meeting place.† She offered the lovely wall case there as a place for displaying treasured items which Putnam County residents were willing to loan and share with others for a time.† Several members spent many hours refinishing the fine oak wood in the case and in October 1968, there was the first display, which included treasured china and cut glass.† This exhibit was on display when the Library celebrated itís moving to the new location and held its open house in November 1968.
In 1971 President Sam Hurliman started promoting the idea of a Museum building.† A donation of $4000.00 from Dr. and Mrs. N.W. Gillum, Dr. Grover Gillum, Mrs. Don Gillum and Mr. and Mrs. Royal Gillum prompted the executive board consisting of Mr. And Mrs. Hurliman, Mrs. Valee Burns, Mrs. Rachel Watson and Miss Evelyn Rennells to meet on July 10, 1971 and approve the incorporation of our Society in order to purchase the then closed Grabosch Building located 1810 Main Street.† Along with the building came the old meat market chopping block, the rendering kettle, lard press and other items donated by Mr. And Mrs. Fon Grabosch.
The ribbon cutting ceremony and open house for the Museum was held July 27, 1972.† The building at 1910 W Main Street was filled and overflowing from the generous donations received over the years.† The former Ross Produce building was offered for sale and the Executive Board voted to purchase this building for the society and move the museum to this new location.† Due to a generous donation from the Edith Guffey estate in December 1977 this purchase became a reality in November 1988.† The building at 1819 West Main Street was sold.† Open house was held on June 30 and July 31, 1990 at the new location.
The Society was organized for the purpose of securing, rescuing and preserving the recollections of well-informed persons concerning the history of Putnam County, of preserving from loss letters, diaries, papers, periodicals and all other data affecting or concerning the early settlements and people of Putnam County; the preservation of historical buildings and sites; preserving articles that were used by the pioneer settlers of this region; and procuring a place of safety or deposit where all historical articles and objects may be preserved and kept intact for future generations.